1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Access Battery - Learn where the battery is located
4. Remove Bracket - Take off the bracket that secures the battery
5. Remove Cables - How to disconnect the cables the right way
6. Clean Cables - Clean with baking soda, water and a wire brush
7. New Battery - Install new battery and prevent corrosion
8. Secure Battery - Replace the bracket to secure the new battery
9. More Info. - Additional thoughts on replacing the battery
The video above shows you how to replace the battery in your 1999 Dodge Caravan. We recommend changing the battery in Dodges every 4 years. Although some batteries last much longer, most batteries begin breaking down chemically after four years, so you could experience dimmer headlights and other negative effects before you have a dead battery in your Caravan that you need to replace.
Replacing the battery in your Caravan involves removing the terminals. When you reconnect the terminals, your radio presets are likely to be cleared out. In some Caravans, you may need to re-enter a security code to get your radio to work again. Check for this code in your owners manual - it will usually be either a sticker or small card in the booklet. If you can't find it, call Dodge and they will give you the code for free. In many Dodges, the transmission "learns" how you drive over time and makes adjustments, so you may experience altered driving dynamics as your car re-learns your driving style after changing the battery.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
If you have an electrical component that doesn't work, try replacing the fuse first
Carmakers are hiding interior fuse boxes all over the place these days - see how to check your interior fuses here!
On many cars, the high beam bulb runs at reduced power during the day - check 'em and change 'em!
Coolant hoses wear out over time and need to be replaced - check 'em early and often