1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Access Battery - Learn where the battery is located
3. Remove Bracket - Take off the bracket that secures the battery
4. Remove Cables - How to disconnect the cables the right way
5. Clean Cables - Clean with baking soda, water and a wire brush
6. New Battery - Install new battery and prevent corrosion
7. Secure Battery - Replace the bracket to secure the new battery
8. Replace Cover - Ensure the cover is put back properly
9. More Info. - Additional thoughts on replacing the battery
The video above shows you how to replace the battery in your 2011 BMW X3. We recommend changing the battery in BMWs every 4 years. Although some batteries last much longer, most batteries begin breaking down chemically after four years, so you could experience dimmer headlights and other negative effects before you have a dead battery in your X3 that you need to replace.
Replacing the battery in your X3 involves removing the terminals. When you reconnect the terminals, your radio presets are likely to be cleared out. In some X3s, you may need to re-enter a security code to get your radio to work again. Check for this code in your owners manual - it will usually be either a sticker or small card in the booklet. If you can't find it, call BMW and they will give you the code for free. In many BMWs, the transmission "learns" how you drive over time and makes adjustments, so you may experience altered driving dynamics as your car re-learns your driving style after changing the battery.
Hans Angermeier is an ASE certified Maintenance and Light Repair Technician and has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road. Over the past 10 years, Hans has been focused on building CarCareKiosk, which is visited by millions of drivers each month.
Odd electrical problems that come out of nowhere can often signify a blown engine fuse - check and change yours here!
If your car blows hot air when your air conditioner is turned on, try recharging the freon first
Is the clock in your car ahead or behind? Learn how to set it here!