1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Find Reservoir - Locate the coolant reservoir and clean it
4. Check Level - Determine the coolant level
5. Add Coolant - Determine coolant type and add fluid properly
6. Replace Cap - Secure the coolant reservoir cap
7. Locate Hoses - Locate the coolant hoses and connection points
8. Assess Hoses - Tips for how to assess the condition of the hoses
9. More Info. - Additional information on coolant levels
Checking the engine coolant (also known as antifreeze) level in your 2011 BMW X3 is pretty easy. In order to get an accurate reading, your 3.0 liter engine should be cool to the touch when you check it. Engine coolant circulates through your engine to keep it cool in the summer but won't freeze in the winter. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir in your X3 is located and how to check the coolant level. If you need to add anti-freeze, be sure to check your owners manual to determine the correct type of coolant to add - in BMWs, it usually located in a section titled Fluid Capacities towards the end of your manual. See our video on how to add engine coolant for tips on adding coolant to your X3.
Always wear safety goggles when working on your X3. Taking off the coolant reservoir cap on a warm engine could cause the cap to up explosively and fluid to spray out of the reservoir. If you notice an oily surface in your coolant, immediately have your mechanic inspect your X3 for head gasket leakage.
Hans Angermeier is an ASE certified Maintenance and Light Repair Technician and has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road. Over the past 10 years, Hans has been focused on building CarCareKiosk, which is visited by millions of drivers each month.
Flushing the coolant in your car is not that hard and will extend the life of your engine tremendously - learn how here!
Learn where your air filter is located and how to determine if it needs to be changed.
Don't be caught in the fog with burnt out fog light bulbs
You love your kids right? See how to properly secure their car seat.