1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Find Reservoir - Locate the coolant reservoir and clean it
4. Check Level - Determine the coolant level
5. Add Coolant - Determine coolant type and add fluid properly
6. Replace Cap - Secure the coolant reservoir cap
7. Locate Hoses - Locate the coolant hoses and connection points
8. Assess Hoses - Tips for how to assess the condition of the hoses
9. More Info. - Additional Information on adding Coolant
Adding engine coolant (also known as antifreeze) to your 2012 Fiat 500 is pretty easy. Engine coolant circulates through your engine to keep it cool in the summer but won't freeze in the winter. Make sure to check your engine when it is cold for an accurate reading. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir in your 500 is located and how to add coolant. Be sure to check your owners manual to determine the correct type of fluid to add - for Fiats, it will typically be in a section titled Fluid Capacities in the back of your manual. Mix the coolant with distilled water so that you have a combination of 50% coolant and 50% water. Some coolants will come premixed-that is, you don't need to add any water. These coolants will typically say 50/50 or pre-mixed on the front of the coolant bottle.
Removing the coolant reservoir cap on a warm engine could cause the cap to fly off at a high rate of speed and fluid to spray out of the reservoir. Always wear safety goggles when working on your 500. Promptly wipe up any spilled fluid as it is highly toxic. Animals love its sweet taste, so even a spilling a small amount on your garage floor can end up in the dog's stomach pretty quickly. If you notice an oily surface in your coolant, immediately have your mechanic inspect your 500 for head gasket leakage
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
Your coolant should perform well under any condition - just like Aaron Rodgers!
Leaking coolant is usually a sign that your water pump needs to be replaced. This video shows you how to quickly plug it
Driving with your phone pressed against your ear is illegal in many places. See how to talk hands free!
The best way to fix leaking hoses is to replace them, but if you don't have time, a stop leak product might work for you