1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Access Battery - Learn where the battery is located
3. Remove Bracket - Take off the bracket that secures the battery
4. Remove Cables - How to disconnect the cables the right way
5. Clean Cables - Clean with baking soda, water and a wire brush
6. New Battery - Install new battery and prevent corrosion
7. Secure Battery - Replace the bracket to secure the new battery
8. Replace Cover - Ensure the cover is put back properly
9. More Info. - Additional thoughts on replacing the battery
The video above shows you how to replace the battery in your 2014 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe. We recommend changing the battery in BMWs every 4 years. Although some batteries last much longer, most batteries begin breaking down chemically after four years, so you could experience dimmer headlights and other negative effects before you have a dead battery in your 650i xDrive Gran Coupe that you need to replace.
Replacing the battery in your 650i xDrive Gran Coupe involves removing the terminals. When you reconnect the terminals, your radio presets are likely to be cleared out. In some 650i xDrive Gran Coupes, you may need to re-enter a security code to get your radio to work again. Check for this code in your owners manual - it will usually be either a sticker or small card in the booklet. If you can't find it, call BMW and they will give you the code for free. In many BMWs, the transmission "learns" how you drive over time and makes adjustments, so you may experience altered driving dynamics as your car re-learns your driving style after changing the battery.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
You love your kids right? See how to properly secure their car seat.
On many cars, the high beam bulb runs at reduced power during the day - check 'em and change 'em!
Power steering fluid is easy to check and many people (mechanics included) often forget about - learn how here
Replacing a dirty air filter can improve gas mileage by up to 4%. Isn't efficiency great?