1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Set Up Paper - Position paper and mark wheels
3. Assess Leak - How to determine if the leaking fluid is coolant
4. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
5. Find Reservoir - Locate the coolant reservoir and clean it
6. Check Level - Determine the coolant level
7. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor coolant leaks
8. Replace Cap - Secure the coolant reservoir cap
9. More Info. - Additional information on minor coolant leaks
Follow the steps in this video to see how to fix minor coolant (antifreeze) leaks in your 2017 BMW X1. Leaking coolant is one of the more common types of fluid leaks on X1s. Engine coolant (which is also called antifreeze or anti-freeze) moves through the inside of your X1's engine and keeps it from overheating. Coolant can leak from the reservoir or from the hoses, in 2017 X1s with the 2.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine. The video above shows you where the coolant reservoir, hoses and connections on your 2017 X1 sDrive28i are located and the steps needed to fix minor leaks.
A few things to note about coolant is that it is sweet tasting and highly toxic, so it can end up in the dog's stomach pretty quickly. If you ignore a small coolant leak long enough, you will run out of coolant, which leads to an overheated engine and other serious, but highly avoidable, problems. In many 2017 X1s, an anti-freeze leak can cause the temp sensor to record high engine temperatures. Always protect yourself with safety glasses and gloves when working with the coolant on your X1.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
If your blinker doesn't blink, or blinks rapidly, you likely have a burnt out bulb
Is the clock in your car ahead or behind? Learn how to set it here!
Coolant hoses wear out over time and need to be replaced - check 'em early and often
Avoid tickets and accidents with both working headlights! New bulbs are much brighter too