1. Getting Started - Prepare for the transmission fluid leak repair
2. Set Up Paper - Position paper and mark wheels
3. Assess Transmission Fluid Leak - How to see if transmission fluid is leaking
4. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
5. Remove Transmission Fluid Cap / Dipstick - Access point for transmission fluid
6. Transmission Fluid Check Level - Determine transmission fluid level
7. Fix Minor Transmission Fluid Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor transmission fluid leaks
8. Replace Transmission Fluid Cap/Dipstick - Put the dipstick / cap back in place
9. More Info. - Additional information on minor transmission fluid leaks
Hans Angermeier is an ASE certified Maintenance and Light Repair Technician and has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road. Over the past 10 years, Hans has been focused on building CarCareKiosk, which is visited by millions of drivers each month.
Does your 1999 Mercury Sable have a transmission fluid leak? This video shows how to fix minor transmission fluid leaks in a 1999 Mercury Sable. Your Sable should be running when you check your transmission fluid level, otherwise the fluid level on the dipstick will not be accurate. If your Sable hesitates when shifting gears, is slipping or seems sluggish shifting from one gear to the next (1st to 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd gear, 3rd to 4th gear, etc.) check your transmission fluid level first. You may fix your Sable transmission by adding some transmission fluid if it is low. Some vehicles are not worth the cost of expensive transmission repairs; if, after adding transmission fluid, you notice that your fluid level is low again, try adding some transmission stop leak to fix the transmission fluid leaks in your Sable.
In Mercury's quest for more performance and better fuel economy, Mercury has been coming out with innovative transmissions on a regular basis. Therefore it is important to use the exact type of transmission fluid stipulated by your Sable's owner’s manual. Many vehicles with manual transmissions do not have a dipstick and their fluid level should be checked by an automotive technician as the car will likely need to be hoisted on a lift.
Replacing a dirty air filter can improve gas mileage by up to 4%. Isn't efficiency great?
White light when you back up - yup, they burn out and you can replace them with bright LEDs
Is the clock in your car ahead or behind? Learn how to set it here!
Did you know that the sun wears out wiper blades faster than rain? Replace your blades twice a year