1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Assess Leak - How to determine if the leaking fluid is coolant
3. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
4. Find Reservoir - Locate the coolant reservoir and clean it
5. Check Level - How to determine the coolant level
6. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor coolant leaks
7. Replace Cap - Secure the coolant reservoir cap
8. More Info. - Additional information on minor coolant leaks
The video above shows to fix minor leaks in the coolant hoses in your 2005 Mitsubishi Galant. The hoses carry engine coolant (which is also known as antifreeze or anti-freeze) through your engine and will eventually wear out. You can avoid getting stranded by identifying signs of extreme wear before they break and fixing minor leaks promptly. In 2005 Galants with the 2.4 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine, but it can also leak from the reservoir or from the hoses. In addition to looking for cracks, analyze the brittleness or squishiness of the hoses in your Galant - if the hoses are hard to squeeze or squeeze very easily, it's time to replace them. The video above shows you where coolant hoses and coolant reservoir on your 2005 Galant ES are located and the steps needed to first minor leaks.
Never attempt to replace a hose that is connected to the air conditioner in your Galant - these hoses contain refrigerant that is under pressure and can blind you. AC problems are always best left to your professional mechanic.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
If your transmission is running low on fluid, be sure to add some - find out how to do this here!
Odd electrical problems that come out of nowhere can often signify a blown engine fuse - check and change yours here!
Animals love the sweet smell of antifreeze, too bad it's toxic! Fix your minor leaks
Is the clock in your car ahead or behind? Learn how to set it here!