1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Find Oil Drain - Locate the oil drain plug underneath the vehicle
4. Drain Oil - Set up the workspace, drain oil and replace plug
5. Find Oil Filter - Locate the oil filter
6. Remove Filter - Position drain pan and remove the oil filter
7. Replace Filter - Add oil to the new oil filter and insert it
8. Remove Oil Cap - Take off the oil fill cap
9. Add Oil - Determine the correct oil type and add oil
10. Replace Cap - Put the oil fill cap back on the engine
11. Leak Inspection - Start vehicle and visually inspect for leaks
12. Remove Dipstick - Locate, remove and wipe oil dipstick
13. Read Oil Level - Reinsert dipstick, remove and then read oil level
14. Clean Up Tips - How to best clean spills and deal with used oil
15. More Info. - Additional information on oil changes
Hans Angermeier is an ASE certified Maintenance and Light Repair Technician and has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road. Over the past 10 years, Hans has been focused on building CarCareKiosk, which is visited by millions of drivers each month.
Learn how to change the oil and oil filter in your 2008 Scion xD with this free video. What type of oil is required in a xD? You can use synthetic oil in any modern vehicle. Many vehicles will require the use of 100% synthetic oil, others allow synthetic blend, which is a mix of synthetic and conventional oil, and conventional oil too. The synthetic oil vs conventional oil debate has many proponents on both sides. Synthetic oil will not break down over time and tends to have longer change intervals, so if you want to have more time between oil changes, then synthetic oil is a good choice. Conventional oil works well for drivers who change their oil regularly and if it is approved for your xD. The owners manual will indicate if your 2008 xD takes 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30. This video shows the location of the oil drain plug, oil filter, oil fill cap and dipstick in addition to the steps needed to change the oil and filter in your xD. For most Scions, you can wrap an old belt around the oil filter and unscrew it by hand. If you can't do this, see our parts page to find a Scion xD oil filter wrench. If your xD is too low to the ground to access your drain plug and oil filter, be sure to use jack stands and safe jacking procedures before getting under your xD.
We recommend wearing safety glasses whenever you are working under your xD. You never know what could be dripping down from the engine, battery acid, engine coolant, brake fluid, etc. All of these fluids are harmful to your eyes and skin so it is important to protect yourself.
Coolant hoses wear out over time and need to be replaced - check 'em early and often
If you have an electrical component that doesn't work, try replacing the fuse first
The burnt out tail light: classic reason for a cop to pull you over - change yours now
Did you know that heat is worse for your battery than cold? Replace it every 4 years