1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Remove Filter - All of the steps needed to remove the air filter
4. Assess Filter - Determine if your old filter needs replacement
5. Replace Filter - Insert the filter and put everything back in place
6. More Info. - Additional thoughts on checking the filter
The engine air filter in your 2008 Toyota 4Runner cleans the air that enters your engine. Checking and replacing the air cleaner in your 2008 4Runner at least once a year will help you get better gas mileage. A dirty air filter will cause your 4Runner to lose 1 - 3 mpg; depending on your driving, you can improve your fuel economy and save 70 - 100 gallons of gas per year simply by changing your filter regularly. The video above, shows you where the engine air filter is located in your 4Runner and how to check it!
In addition to improving the fuel economy of your 4Runner, replacing your air filter will improve the performance of your engine. These filters are fairly inexpensive, so check out our parts page for great deals and coupons on a new one (tip: buy several air filters for your 2008 4Runner so you can easily replace it with a new one if it is dirty.)
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
If you have an electrical component that doesn't work, try replacing the fuse first
Don't be the guy with your third brake light burnt out
Animals love the sweet smell of antifreeze, too bad it's toxic! Fix your minor leaks
Properly inflated tires is the easiest way to improve fuel economy. The right tire pressure is NOT on the side of your tire btw