1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Assess Leak - How to determine if the leaking fluid is coolant
3. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
4. Find Reservoir - Locate the coolant reservoir and clean it
5. Check Level - How to determine the coolant level
6. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor coolant leaks
7. Replace Cap - Secure the coolant reservoir cap
8. More Info. - Additional information on minor coolant leaks
The video above shows to fix minor leaks in the coolant hoses in your 2011 BMW X3. The hoses carry engine coolant (which is also known as antifreeze or anti-freeze) through your engine and will eventually wear out. You can avoid getting stranded by identifying signs of extreme wear before they break and fixing minor leaks promptly. In 2011 X3s with the 3.0 liter engine, coolant leaks are most likely to occur where the hoses connect to the engine, but it can also leak from the reservoir or from the hoses. In addition to looking for cracks, analyze the brittleness or squishiness of the hoses in your X3 - if the hoses are hard to squeeze or squeeze very easily, it's time to replace them. The video above shows you where coolant hoses and coolant reservoir on your 2011 X3 xDrive28i are located and the steps needed to first minor leaks.
Never attempt to replace a hose that is connected to the air conditioner in your X3 - these hoses contain refrigerant that is under pressure and can blind you. AC problems are always best left to your professional mechanic.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
Low coolant levels is all to common - top yours up today
Carmakers are hiding interior fuse boxes all over the place these days - see how to check your interior fuses here!
A check engine light can be cleared with a simple fix or it could be a major problem - find out now!
Learn where your spare tire and jack are located before you need it on the side of the road