1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
3. Access Battery - Learn where the battery is located
4. Jump Points - Locate the positive terminal and the ground
5. Jump Procedure - Correctly hook up the jumper cables and jump
6. Replace Cover - Ensure the cover is put back properly
7. After the Jump - Tips to follow after jumping the dead battery
8. Troubleshoot - If the jump didn't work, try these adjustments
9. More Info. - Additional thoughts on jumping a dead battery
This video shows you how to jump start a dead battery in your 2017 Ford Escape. If you get into your Escape, turn the key, and your car doesn't start (you may hear nothing or a clicking sound from the engine bay), you have a dead battery and need a jump-start. Check to see if you left your headlights or an interior light on and turn the switch off. Assuming that you have a pair of jumper cables, a pair of safety glasses and a friend to give you a jumpstart, the video above will show you where to connect the cables (and in what order!) for your Escape. Once you are finished reviving a dead car battery in your Escape, make sure you drive it for at least 5 minutes before turning it off so your battery isn't dead the next time.
So what's up with the safety glasses? There is a small possibility of a battery exploding during the charging process if you don't connect the cables properly (causing a spark) and there is a bunch of hydrogen gas around the battery (car batteries emit hydrogen gas when they discharge) - this is much more of an issue with cars that haven't been driven for a long time than if you drive your Escape regularly and simply forgot to turn your lights off.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
Is the clock in your car ahead or behind? Learn how to set it here!
Avoid tickets and accidents with both working headlights! New bulbs are much brighter too
Animals love the sweet smell of antifreeze, too bad it's toxic! Fix your minor leaks
Replacing a dirty air filter can improve gas mileage by up to 4%. Isn't efficiency great?