1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Set Up Paper - Position paper and mark wheels
3. Assess Leak - How to determine if the leaking fluid is oil
4. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
5. Remove Dipstick - Remove the oil dipstick to check oil level
6. Read Oil Level - Accurately read the oil level
7. Remove Oil Cap - Take off the oil fill cap
8. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor oil leaks
9. Replace Cap - Secure the oil fill cap back in place
10. More Info. - Additional information on minor oil leaks
In the video above, we show you how to fix minor oil leaks in your 2017 GMC Canyon. We will show you specifically how to determine if the fluid leaking from your Canyon is oil, check your oil level and fix the oil leak using stop leak. Extremely low oil levels can critically damage your engine, so it is important to be proactive about oil leaks, however small. Oil leaks in the 2017 Canyons with the 2.8 liter engine are often due to a bad seal in the drain plug - the metal washer in your drain plug can only be tightened a few times before it loses its ability to seal and should be replaced periodically to prevent leaking. Replacing the metal washer should only be done when you change the oil in your Canyon, fortunately the video above shows how to fix the minor leak in the interim.
Fixing minor oil leaks is fairly straightforward, but first, make sure that your engine is cold and that your Canyon is parked on a level surface when you check the oil level as both of these things can cause the oil level to read low. Check our What is Leaking? video to see what type of fluid is leaking from your Canyon if you are unsure.
Hans Angermeier is an ASE certified Maintenance and Light Repair Technician and has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road. Over the past 10 years, Hans has been focused on building CarCareKiosk, which is visited by millions of drivers each month.
Your coolant should perform well under any condition - just like Aaron Rodgers!
You love your kids right? See how to properly secure their car seat.
A check engine light can be cleared with a simple fix or it could be a major problem - find out now!
If you have an electrical component that doesn't work, try replacing the fuse first