1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Set Up Paper - Position paper and mark wheels
3. Assess Leak - How to determine if the leaking fluid is oil
4. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
5. Remove Dipstick - Locate, remove and wipe oil dipstick
6. Read Oil Level - Reinsert dipstick, remove and then read oil level
7. Replace Cap - Take off the oil fill cap
8. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor oil leaks
9. Replace Cap - Put the oil fill cap back on the engine
10. More Info. - Additional information on minor oil leaks
This video shows you how to fix minor oil leaks in your 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and how to tell if the fluid leaking from your Equinox is oil, how to check your oil level and how to fix the oil leak. Low oil levels can wreck your engine, so it is important to be proactive about oil leaks, however small. Oil leaks in the 2018 Equinoxs with the 1.5 liter engine are often due to a bad seal in the drain plug - the metal washer in your drain plug can only be tightened a few times before it loses its ability to seal and should be replaced periodically to prevent leaking. Replacing the metal washer should only be done when you change the oil in your Equinox, fortunately the video above shows how to fix the minor leak in the interim.
Make sure that your engine is cold and that your Equinox is parked on a level surface when you check the oil level as both of these things can cause the oil level to read low. Check our What is Leaking? video to see what type of fluid is leaking from your Equinox if you need help figuring out what type of oil is leaking from your Equinox.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
Avoid tickets and accidents with both working headlights! New bulbs are much brighter too
Burnt out brake lights increase your chance of getting rear ended - check and change yours today
Animals love the sweet smell of antifreeze, too bad it's toxic! Fix your minor leaks
Odd electrical problems that come out of nowhere can often signify a blown engine fuse - check and change yours here!