1. Getting Started - Prepare for the repair
2. Set Up Paper - Position paper and mark wheels
3. Assess Leak - How to see if transmission fluid is leaking
4. Open the Hood - How to pop the hood and prop it open
5. Remove Dipstick - Access point for transmission fluid
6. Check Level - Determine transmission fluid level
7. Fix Minor Leaks - Easy way to tackle minor trans. fluid leaks
8. Replace Dipstick - Put the dipstick / cap back in place
9. More Info. - Additional information on minor leaks
Your Grand Cherokee should be running when you check your transmission fluid level, otherwise the transmission fluid level on the transmission fluid dipstick will not be accurate. The video above shows how to fix minor transmission fluid leaks in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you have automatic transmission problems in your Grand Cherokee, ie: it hesitates when shifting gears or seems sluggish shifting from one gear to the next (1st to 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd gear, 3rd to 4th gear, etc.) check your transmission fluid level first. Unscrupulous mechanics will often suggest a more expensive repair, such as a rebuild, when adding some transmission fluid will fix your Grand Cherokee. If, after adding transmission fluid, you notice that your fluid level is low again, follow the steps highlighted in the video above to fix the transmission fluid leaks in your Grand Cherokee.
In Jeep's desire for more performance and better fuel economy, Jeep has been developing innovative transmissions on a regular basis. Therefore it is important to use the exact type of transmission fluid stipulated by your Grand Cherokee's owner's manual. Many vehicles with manual transmissions do not have a dipstick and their fluid level should be checked by an automotive technician as the car will likely need to be hoisted on a lift.
Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. He has broad expertise on basic repair procedures covering the majority of cars on the road.
If you are leaking oil and parking on your oil spots each night, the oil is breaking down your tires' rubber
Avoid tickets and accidents with both working headlights! New bulbs are much brighter too
The rear wiper that you forgot you had until it streaks horrifically on a rainy day? Change it now!
One of the easiest fluids to top off - learn how to open the hood and where the reservoir is on your car